What exactly is a kitchen?
A kitchen is a space dedicated to the preparation and cooking of food. It has space for raw materials storage, such as cold storage, cooking and serving utensils, food preparation and cleaning, as well as food cooking, such as a stove and oven.
This article will break down the cost of a modular kitchen into its component parts.
Items involved in a Modular Kitchen
- Chimney and Hob
Let’s look at the cost of all of them one-by-one. In the end, we will add them up to see the total cost.
What kind of material should use to construct the kitchen?
The term “material” refers to the substances that provide strength. This can range from low-cost particle board also known as “engineered wood,” to MDF, HDF, and plywood. Completely solid wood kitchens are also an option for high-end kitchens. In this scenario, pay attention to the type of wood used.
All frames should be made of BWP (IS710) plywood, and shutters should be made of plywood or HDF, depending on the finish.
The cost of your modular kitchen’s woodwork accounts for 40-60 percent of the total cost. All you need to know about the cost of woodwork is the dimensions of your kitchen. In woodworking, costing is usually done by calculating the surface area of the exposed furniture using two adjacent sides. For example, a 10ft x 5ft l-shaped kitchen will have the following area:
area (of Base Unit) = (10+5-2)ft x 2.9ft
Here you need to add the total length of the kitchen’s woodwork outer perimeter and multiply it with the height – usually 2.9ft.
After you’ve estimated the sq ft area, multiply it by the per square foot rate to get the final cost:
Formula: Cost = area x per sqft rate
Similarly, you will also need to calculate the cost separately for the middle unit and lofts.
The per sqft rates for BWP plywood recommended for the Base Unit would be around Rs. 1100-1300 and for MR plywood used for Wall Units would be around Rs. 1100-1400. The cost of loft could be much less, around Rs. 500-800. However, the rates would be different for other finishes like High Gloss or Acrylic.
Usually, the material used in the base and wall units is different. At Classic Infrahomes, we use BWP plywood for the base unit and MR plywood for the wall unit and lofts.
Tip: BWP plywood is much better quality than BWP plywood, with about 70% higher cost. Hence we at Classic Infrahomes prefer it over BWR.
Accessories include various baskets, pullouts, lifts, etc., available these days from leading brands like Hettich and Ebco. The cost of these is based on the price set by the respective companies.
The cost of accessories for your kitchen depends on the amount you are willing to spend for additional sophistication and can vary anywhere from 10,000 to 1.5k
To see various kinds of accessories available and their costs, check our article on kitchen accessories.
The cost of the countertop can vary depending on the type of material you choose. You can go for either Granite or Corian, etc. This can range from about 150 per sqft to 2000 per sqft. The cost of fitting the granite can be between 300 per sqft to 600 per sqft or higher.
The installation of the slab is to be done after the carcass of the base cabinet is done but before the installation of the shutter or any accessories. If you have a pre-existing slab, your interior designer may ask you to get it removed first. This is an additional cost and can sometimes lead to the breakage of the material.
What is the most popular kitchen countertop?
Quartz. Currently the most popular choice in kitchen countertops, homeowners choose quartz surfacing because of its many advantages. Quartz doesn’t need to be sealed, and its seams blend very well. It is easy to clean and is heat, scratch and stain-resistant. (read more)
Price of modular kitchen countertops
Choose the material for the kitchen countertop, Dining area, and breakfast counter. There are a variety of kitchen countertop options available here as well. You can start with the most basic granite (Indian), then move to Italian granite, an array of engineered stones, solid surfaces, and marble (light load kitchens). Wood is not a popular choice for kitchen countertops in India, but it is used. The price per square ft for engineered natural stone could start at Rs.200 and go up to Rs.3500 for the material alone. The installer would charge an additional Rs.200 or more per square foot. Also, keep in mind that the engineered stone kitchen countertop comes in slab size, so waste must be considered when making your selections.
This price will never be included in the modular kitchen Remodeler’s quote unless he provides you with an end-to-end solution. He will also not include the cost of plumbing and electrical points. The assumption is that the site has all of these agencies working together to avoid conflict, and that the ambient light controls are all part of the interior designer on the project.
All four aspects have individual and collective cost implications that must be understood. It will assist you in making the necessary decisions at each step, or you will be at sea.
Chimney and Hob
Chimney and Hob are usually purchased from brands and need to be done before you finalize the designs for your modular kitchen, as the size and placement of both of these are needed as inputs while designing the kitchen. You can purchase a chimney for about Rs. 12000 – Rs. 24000. A hob can cost from 3-4k to 10k depending on the type of Hob.
Buy the best chimney and Hob for your modular kitchen online on Amazon.
Sinks again are available on various ranges starting from as low as 3k to 25k and beyond.
Finally, let’s do the various components involved in designing your modular kitchen.
|Item||Cost (in Rs.)|
|Woodwork||60k – 130k|
|Accessories||14k – 65k|
|Countertop||15k – 65k|
|Chimney and Hob||22k – 45k|
|Sink||5k – 35k|
|Total||122k – 350k|
To conclude, a modular kitchen can cost Rs. 1.3 Lacs to 3.5 lacs or more depending on the primary material, finish accessories, etc.
What are the must-have kitchen items?
A kitchen is never complete unless it contains the essentials. Modern kitchen accessories are an essential part of keeping the space looking tidy and organised. Trays, drawers, holders, shelves, and other functional designs aid in efficient space management.
- Cutlery cup and saucer thali tray designs: Stainless Steel Modular Kitchen tray designs are specially designed to help organise your crockery and keep your kitchen looking neat.
- Tandem drawer (soft-close channels): The tandem drawer is ideal for organising and storing crockery, cutlery, spices, and other items.
- Designs for detergent holders (350mm): These clever detergent holders are a must-have kitten accessory because they make cleaning and washing kitchen items a breeze.
- Pull-out bottle (300mm soft-close channels: The Bottle pull-out kitchen accessory is sleek, lean, and efficient, making it ideal for smaller kitchens because it frees up a lot of space while also helping to keep the area tidy.
- Detergent holder & bin holder designs: Multi-purpose kitchen accessories such as detergent holders and bin holders are a must-have for modern modular kitchen designs. The detergent and bin holder help to keep the kitchen area clean and tidy.
- Pull out basket designs: In addition to being useful storage accessories, pull out baskets are also aesthetically pleasing and functional. They save a lot of space and help keep the kitchen clean and organised.
- Leman’s corner designs: The ideal choice for your kitchen corner, the Leman’s corner design is meticulously curated to keep your kitchen tidy and clean.
- Pantry pullout designs: Ideal for kitchen storage, pantry pullout designs are a must-have in modern modular kitchens.
- One shelf with microwave and otg provision: Save kitchen space with a custom-made shelf for your microwave and OTG supplies, a must-have for modern modular kitchen designs.
- Larder pull out designs: In addition to being useful storage accessories, larder pull out designs are also aesthetically pleasing and functional. They save a lot of space and help keep the kitchen clean and organised.
- Worktop extension designs: These accessories add functionality to kitchens by providing more working space. They save space when not in use and are thus an important component of a modern modular kitchen.
- Designs for D Trays: When it comes to making the most of available space, functional storage designs are critical. The D tray is a stylish, small, and functional storage solution.
- Wicker basket (600mm) designs: Wicker baskets are both aesthetically pleasing and functional storage accessories. They save a lot of space and help keep the kitchen clean and organised.
- Magic corner designs: These accessories add extra functionality to kitchens by providing more working space. They save space when not in use and are thus an important component of a modern modular kitchen.
- Designs for plate trays and glass trays (600mm): Stainless steel modular kitchen tray designs are specifically designed to help organise your crockery and keep your kitchen looking tidy.
- Plain baskets (600mm soft-close channels): Plain baskets are both aesthetically pleasing and functional storage accessories. They save a lot of space and help keep the kitchen clean and organised.
What is the best material for kitchen shutters?
There are numerous kitchen shutter materials available on the market. Click here for a more in-depth discussion of the subject.
- Particle Board Matte Laminates are moisture-resistant and heat-resistant. They are also very durable and simple to maintain, as they can be easily wiped clean. The Matt finish adds texture and reduces the visibility of scratches.
- BWP Ply Matte Laminates are moisture and water resistant, as well as heat resistant. They are also very durable and simple to maintain, as they can be easily wiped clean. The Matt finish adds texture and reduces the visibility of scratches.
- Particle Board High Gloss Laminates are moisture-resistant and heat-resistant. They are long-lasting and moderately simple to maintain. Though they are easily wiped clean, one must be cautious of scratch marks on the surface, as the glossy finish tends to highlight imperfections.
- MDF Matte Membranes are moisture-resistant and temperature-resistant. They are also very durable and simple to maintain, as they can be easily wiped clean. The Matt finish adds texture and reduces the visibility of scratches.
- BWP Ply High Gloss Laminates are moisture and water-resistant, as well as heat resistant. They are long-lasting and moderately simple to maintain. Though they are easily wiped clean, one must be cautious of scratch marks on the surface, as the glossy finish tends to highlight imperfections.
- MDF High Gloss Membranes are moisture-resistant and temperature-resistant. They are long-lasting and moderately simple to maintain. Though they are easily wiped clean, one must be cautious of scratch marks on the surface, as the glossy finish tends to highlight imperfections.
- MDF High Gloss Acrylics are moisture-resistant and temperature-resistant. They are long-lasting and moderately simple to maintain. Though they are easily wiped clean, one must be cautious of scratch marks on the surface, as the glossy finish tends to highlight imperfections.
If you are looking to furnish your rooms, check out A brief guide to woodwork costing in Noida.
To get a ballpark estimate for your home, read: Estimated cost of interior designing in Noida.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How Much Does a Kitchen Renovation Cost?
As a general estimate, kitchen renovation in India ranges from 48,000 to 165,000. This depends on the type of remodelling you require, price of materials and personal preferences.
How long can it take to install a modular kitchen?
Modular kitchen dealers in Noida can take approximately 7 to 15 days to install. Time taken for installation may depend on the size of the kitchen, design to be installed, etc.
Which brand is best for a modular kitchen?
If you are planning to install a modular kitchen, these brands are worth considering:
- 1. Sleek
- 2. Johnson Kitchens
- 3. Hafele
- 4. Haecker
- 5. Zuari Furnitures
- 6. Kohler
- 7. EBCO
- 8. Godrej Interio
- 9. StyleSpa.
- 10. Classic Infrahomes
Read more Article Related Kitchen Design Ideas
|modern kitchen designs||color combination in kitchen||kitchen splashbacks ideas|
|Kitchen renovation cost in India||How to choice sink for kitchen||Easy Kitchen Maintenance Complete Guide|
|25 Parallel Kitchen Designs||Factory-Made Furniture||KITCHEN FLOORING|
If you are struggling to find the right interior design firm for your interior project in Noida, do try Classic Infrahomes – where you get pre-negotiated best rates, guaranteed quality work & on-time completion from the best interior design firm in Noida. To learn more about Classic Infrahomes, check this link. To understand how we select the top interior firms, read The definitive guide to find the best interior designer in Noida.
I hope we are able to address your doubts in this article. If I have missed something, do let me know in the comments below.